Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Jump Off

Blogs, social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc.), message boards... do more egocentric mediums exist? The dissemination of personal opinion with dreams of finding like-minded people that otherwise couldn't be found via face-to-face, organic contact makes me anxious and angry; why must we self-publish our path towards acceptance? Superiority? The great feeling of authority in a world where we hold little to no control? Or boredom and the joy of the middle-ground: we aren't ambitious enough to leave the house and our pop cultural obsessions to experience a unique life , but we do care just enough to sit down and create an outlet for our narcissistic and apathetic musings...

So here's mine! Cynicism aside, I've simply started this to further my own literacy and writing skills while maintaining an avenue where I can express my thoughts in an uninterrupted tone. Note: this will not be a diary. My only interest is to form a commentary on mass culture, music, sports, literature and film with the occasional philosophical or existential meditation thrown in here and there with the sole strategic purpose of defending myself from the thought that I'm too caught up in cultural criticism to recognize the greater social and intellectual issues at hand (my guess is that this will be a rarity).

The over/under for posts before admitting defeat: 6.5
... for the length of time (in seconds) between the posting and the urge to delete or rewrite the piece: 15.5

Now we're underway. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment